Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day #7, putting in the garden

 So, we don't have a community garden plot like we have for the last 2 years.  Instead, we have a 30X30 plot at my MIL's house.  She's not used the entire thing since my FIL passed away about a dozen years ago... she just plants a few tomato plants and calls it good.  Now that we live here, we're taking it over, and it's going to be a MASSIVE crop.  I see a lot of canning & freezing in our future.  A lot.
It's amusing to me, a bit, how many people didn't know what Walls of Water were.  Well, the green things right over there are them.  Never fear, I had no idea what they were either until 2 years ago when I started gardening.  They are a MUST have for Montana, and here as well.  

The white things are hot caps, which still protect the plants, but are cheaper.  We have about 30 WoW's and about 20 hot caps placed around... Even with no much plant growth, the garden is certainly colorful!!

We have planted, so far:  strawberries, peas, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, rhubarb, zucchini, beets, sunflowers, watermelon, cantaloupe, chives... and a load of peppers... lots of different kinds...  We still have beans to put in, and the kiddo wants brussel sprouts... but then I think that's it.  We'll be planting lettuce, spinach, and most of our herbs here in containers at our place.  Plan on building those this next weekend.

Idaho has a MUCH longer growing season, so I know we should be good for freshness.  And it does my heart good to know we'll be saving a lot of money as well.  It's expensive to eat health, and a garden will certainly help!

No comments: