Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Couch to 5K

So, I'm doing it--- just not very well.

I've never run in my life. I chase my son or a soccer ball from time to time. But I never understood a runner's high, or why people would run around a track. Turns out a big reason could be that I stink at it. Perhaps I knew this secretly and I'm just not seeing it in living color.

But I'm not going to give up. I'm just going to have to take things more slowly than I figured. I also need to dig out my knee brace. I've got bad knees and feet, so I have to be careful, but not as careful as I've been.

We haven't signed up for Bloomsday yet. But I did fill out the papers for the Missoula 1/2 marathon. My goal is to complete that... 1/2 running it. I'm aiming at walking 2 miles a day and running/jogging (fast walking) some points through out that. To get me use to it. I can't make the entire 1/2 mile loop by our house yet, but that's my first goal. Hope to reach that by the 1st of February. (Only thing holding me back on that would be snow/ice as I don't have a treadmill.)

2 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

I'm toying with the idea of the couch to 5K program, too (especially like the couch part...). I'm really having trouble getting my heart rate up with my normal cardio routine, and I know from past experience that running feels great once you get over the hurdle of starting out.

But I may let it warm up a little first...

Bella said...

Good for you! I'm "enjoying" the training, although it's still reall challenging for me, and I'm on the first week. (I'm repeating each week twice, because I don't want to get injured). Slow and steady.